Happy 4th of July, Amuuuurica!!!
|Ammuuuuricaaa, f•ck yeah! (source)|
Actually, happy 4th of July to everyone around the world. After all, everyone has a 4th of July, you just might not celebrate it up with fireworks, barbecues and massive amount of alcohol induced liver damage...but you should
No big celebratory plans in the works today. Running around town trying to get a thing or two done. But while we are just pretending it is any ol' day up here in Canada, you enjoy these random facts about the United States. Consider it a patriotic 'The More You Know Monday!'
- Only two people, John Hancock and Charles Thomson signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until five years later.
- John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4, 1826. This was 50 years to the day after the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- The first holiday celebrated nation wide in the U.S. was the 100th anniversary of George Washington's inauguration, April 30,1889.
- Until 1796, there was a state in the United States called Franklin. Today it is known as Tennessee.
- 10 U.S. Presidents did not graduate from college. (George Washington (The death of his father ended Washington's formal schooling), Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison (attended college but never received a degree), Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Abraham Lincoln (had only about a year of formal schooling of any kind), Andrew Johnson, Grover Cleveland, Harry S. Truman). Who says you need a higher education degree to amount to something in life!?
- The first woman to run for president was Victoria Woodhull, 1872. Her running mate was Frederick Douglass. She was declared ineligible, but not because she was a woman. She would not yet be 35 years old until September after the January inauguration day. She received some votes, but are not recorded in the official results
Ya'll be safe out there celebrating! I'll be around checking out what antics you crazies got into this weekend. Can't wait!!