February 23, 2011

Under the Grecian Sun, Part 2


I knew that returning to Greece to work on the same sail boat I had vacationed on the year before was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. No matter who I had just met :)

I don't think the (then future) hubs was super thrilled about me accepting the summer-long job in Greece. Actually, I remember him being a bit pouty about it. But this was something that I knew that if I didn't do, I would regret it for the rest of my life. Plus, there was already something so special between us, that I was really confident we could get through a few months apart. He was going back to Edmonton at the end of the season, and from what I had heard about the place, I knew he wasn't going to get into too much trouble without me :)

So May rolled around, I quit my job in San Antonio, made a last minute trip to Canada to say bye to the pre-hubs, and was off to see what Greece held for me.


I can't lie, the first few days were miserable. I had an awful feeling in my stomach, that kind you get when you just know something is wrong. Unable to get the pay phones by the Althens harbor to connect to home, I was stuck without hearing the pre-hubs voice for some time. Or at least it felt like a long time. I had doubts about the job, wondering what I was doing there. But I manned, I mean womanned, up and told myself that this is what I signed up for and this is what I was going to do.

The guests arrived soon after, and that first group was great. They really made me feel at ease and I jumped right into my position as program director. Pretty fancy title for someone who cooks, cleans, guides guests around the islands and helps sail.

I sound like such a whimpie saying this, but this job in Greece was by far the most difficult and demanding job I have ever had. Some, not all, but a good amount of the guests felt entitled the moment they stepped on board. This wasn't some all inclusive trip, where you're catered to at every moment. It was clear from the get-go that everyone pitched in to help do a job or two each day. But nonetheless, some felt the need to boss me around, or even, one horrible lady, to yell at me. Don't worry, I gave it right back to her, ha! I was the first one up in the early morning and the last one to bed late at night. It was exhausting. But with the breathtaking island scenery I woke up to every morning, it was well worth it.
Amazing Hydra Port
No matter how busy I was, I still couldn't fully get my mind to stop terribly missing the pre-hubs. He had joked around about coming out to Greece for a week or two to see me (and get a discounted price on a wonderful trip). I  had mentioned something to the captain, to see if he was even down for the idea. He wasn't all that into it,  but at the same time was interested in having another Canadian, and a hockey player at that, along for the ride. I am sure the thought of an extra paying customer didn't hurt either!

I had called the pre-hubs one evening for a quick conversation. I didn't have anything too important to say, we just liked chatting almost everyday. Then, right as I am about to let him off the phone, he casually drops an "Oh, by the way, I am coming to Greece. See you in a week!" WTF!! I didn't think he was really going to do it. But a week later, we pull into the port at Ios and there is he was,  my pale Canadian man, standing on the docks. How amazing is that!! 

And don't ya know, he fit right in :)
 And boy oh boy did I need him. He stayed in Greece for 10 days and it was so perfect. The guests on board when he came were being ridiculously difficult to deal with. They were losers, for lack of better words. If he hadn't have come to the islands to see me, I have a feeling I would have gone back home to see him (I guess in some ways it back fired on him, haha). 


As we hopped around the beautiful sun-baked islands, and realized that our first vacation together was a honeymoon dream for most couples. We partied in Ios, known for its looong row of bars. Wine tasted and tooted around in a Smart Car along the cliffs of Santorini. Sunbathed his paleness away in Paros. Took a 4-Wheeler around in Mykonos....and somehow ended up on the nude/gay side of Paradise Beach. Ha. Saw the Lion in Kia and ended the trip on a lovely note in Athens. 


It still amazes me that he came all the way to see little ol' me. I guess he, too, realized that there was something special there. When he went back to Canada, he left me with the strength to deal with those 'characters' on board and confirmed my already sneaking suspicion that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.

Part 3, the finale of my Grecian summer coming tomorrow. I'll talk about the crazy guests, my 'living' quarters (Umm, I slept outside), and a short guide to the islands the boat visited.

Happy Hump Day!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

21 comments:

  1. wow...that sounds amazing. Traveling around the world is such a wonderful thing. I am sure the memories you have are worth all the pain-in-the-a$$ customers and hard work!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm considering doing a Greece/Turkey trip in 2012 so we'll need to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summer on the boat sounds amazing, a dream! I never travelled when I was out of school, I have always regretted that- though lack of money to do so sorta put a damper on that one haha! But now I'm married and living on a tiny island in the Mediterranean. Go figure! Now I look forward to traveling even more so because I have my husband to share it with, great memories to me made. GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working in Greece...how do these two even connect? What a sweet moment for your husband to come out and be with you, lovebirds! This just sounds like an amazing and gorgeous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO sweet that he came to visit you. I am sold more and more on going to Greece, the pics are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting Greece is on my wish list. Taking a boat around all the ports sounds wonderful.Thanks for stopping by my blog. Where in Germany are you. My husband and I honeymooned there 11 years ago. I love Germany:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwww man this is the sweetest story ever! It was so sweet of him to come all the way to see you, I guess you can just tell when there is something special. No rules, no waiting. If it feels right, just do it. It's a beautifully written post too, the way you described it I could almost feel like I was one of those customers lol! No seriously, it's very well written :) Yayyy waiting for Part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This all sounds so beautiful! What a great guy! I've had a lot of catching up to do since the surgery has made it to where I haven't gotten to get on the computer too much.

    As far as my appendix goes, I too thought it was something like gas/constipation. Funny how similar they felt. I wasn't going to go to the hospital at first, except that my friend kind of made me go.
    I had laproscopic surgery, that's pretty much all they do anymore. I think one of my cuts isn't healing correctly though, but hopefully everything else seems okay.

    Thanks for the healing hug!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tales - I think it is pretty wonderful too :)seriously, if it wasn't for the amazing islands, I would have let those customers have it!
    @Morgan - I wonder that all the time, just plain luck! haha, thanks Morgan!
    @An Irish- I need commission on this trip then, lol.
    @The Adventurer - We are down in Southern Germany, not far from the Austrian/Swiss border. I bet that was a fun honeymoon. Thanks for stopping by too!
    @Apfel - thanks! That is a great compliment. I feel like I am dragging this story on too long, but seriously nothing else going on here, haha
    @Mal - You're alive!! Don't worry about catching up with anything, you rest up. I know, it does feel similar, glad you friend made you go. Have a great couple of couch/bed days this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHoops! @ SB - for real!! I have some good suggestions :)
    @Angela - haha, no joke, I can only imagine how beautiful your island life is. All my friends traveled abroad while in college, and I always told them I had time to do that after college. They laughed. I worked in Greece and now live in Germany, who is laughing now! haa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I absolutely LOVE this story....the whole thing sounds like it's right out of a Romantic comedy! Keep the stories comin ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is Amazing! From the name - fantastic - to this story, which is like a Lifetime movie, except no one gets killed or suffers some horrible tragedy! Happy to have found you!

    I am your newest follower via the Humpday Hop. I hope to see you at my blog Dropped Stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nicole - well I hope it doesn't disappoint, lol
    @Hillary - aw, thanks! It does sounds pretty RomCommy, you are right!
    @Erin - thanks so much for stopping by. I love the name of your blog, that is pretty much my whole knitting experience right there. You are so sweet, thank you for leaving a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really glad you stopped by my blog Sunday to say hi. I have been a real slacker in getting back to all my comments. I hope you will stop by again soon. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Passing by from around the world wednesday... so jealous of all your travel.... super cute blog.. i love it..

    New Follower<3

    XOxO Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww... this sounds straight out of a movie! Loving it and can't wait to hear the rest! I think we're going to do a Mediterranean cruise after NEXT season... Greece is definitely on that list. The beautiful pictures make me even more excited to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun traveling. Once you have children it is really hard! New folllower from the hop!
    http://tooblessed-tobestressed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Traci - glad you stopped by too!
    @Lisa - well thanks for stopping over. And thanks for the compliment too!
    @Tawna - hi tawna, that isn't a generic post or anything :) caught ya
    @ Mrs K - we try at times, lol
    @CMD - you must go! It is so beautiful :)
    @Amanda - thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  19. CROATIA HOLY MOLY GIRLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, did not see that coming and am so so excited about it! I am so jealous you have the opportunity to go to Plitvice Lakes. I NEED to go. And all these facts, blown away. Seriously. I went to croatia and had no idea about all of this. Wiggling in my seat for you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Whoomp, there it is!